I made this costume for my niece for last Halloween.
I actually glued it together, against the advice of many Redditors. But I really like how glued felt looks and I didn’t have a lot of energy to sew at the time.
The pattern is from Wild Things to Sew and Wear by Molly Goodall (aka littlegoodall). Molly’s designs have been turned into a Simplicity pattern and are featured at Anthropologie. She sells both patterns and finished items. Super cool!
The pattern calls for terrycloth because it’s intended as a beach cover-up, but I decided to use felt because I like working with felt and thought it would give it more structure. I also did not make the hood so there were just the two shoulder seams (the sides are fastened by buttons which I think is such a cute detail).
I bought my felt from Benzie Design on Etsy. They also have a website with larger color swatches, which I liked because I could screen shot them on my phone and make collages to figure out a color scheme. I am obsessed with doing color schemes this way and I’ll post about it in the future. Benzie Design has sheets of felt as well as felt by the yard (also shapes, pompoms, sequins, and other). I also like this store because they sell matching embroidery floss (it’s an option you select when you order felt).
I used Aleene’s Felt and Foam glue and found it to be excellent. Regular tacky glue did not work well (I also tried several other methods including Heat’n’Bond and Elmer’s glue), but the felt glue was amazing. It dried within minutes and created a very strong bond. I was not worried whatsoever that any piece would come apart or off. The shoulder seams were very strong.
The buttons are vintage buttons from Primrose Buttons on Etsy. I sewed them on (no glue). The buttons are just cut slits without reinforcement since the garment wouldn’t be worn very often. She wore some black leggings and a black shirt and pipe cleaners in her hair. It was pretty cute.