I embroidered this pillow in 2017 using a pattern from Polka and Bloom on Etsy.
Carina is awesome and posted my work on her blog. Her work is very colorful and right up my alley. Here’s the pattern as designed:
I changed up the pattern a little bit, mostly because I didn’t have enough skill or time to do it 100% as designed. I also wanted to make it a bit more like the original painting (Queen Elizabeth I Coronation Portrait by Unknown Artist).
The fabric of the robe is called Birds of a Feather Paisley in Tan from Wilmington Prints. The sable, face, and hands are some felt I had lying around. The orb is some faux suede with gold dots. The dress is some evenweave fabric that I had. The stitch for the dress is explained in the pattern.
Below are a couple of in-process photos. Some embroidery stitches used: chain stitch, satin stitch, blanket stitch, couching.
I used a selection of beads from Fire Mountain Gems and Beads.
In that last photo you can see one of my favorite tools, ruler tape. I usually get this kind by Thermoweb. It’s really helpful for various sewing applications. For this I just used it to prevent fraying (my mom taught me as a kid to tape the edges of embroidery or cross stitch with masking tape), so the ruler part wasn’t necessary. It was just the tape that I had handy right then.